Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Birthday, Baptism and Bromance

Seriously. Best sister but worst blogger ever. We will just keep it our little secret that I update this blog once a millennium. What he doesn't know won't hurt him. Right? RIGHT?

Here is an update on our favorite Missionary

BIRTHDAY


Alex had the first of two birthdays he will be celebrating in Paraguay. Thank you for all of the cards and emails. It meant a lot to him!

He said;

"Had an amazing birthday! Went to church, had an amazing lunch with President Otazu, got some presents, watched the Superbowl, got to swim, got a massage, got to relax, got to go to some waterfalls, it was amazing! Ok after presents I lied but it was an amazing birthday so thank yall:)"
I died laughing. I am sure our Mom has stock pile of gifts ready in the corner of his room for when he gets back to make up for it. Like probably a BMW and a Harley and maybe some nice slacks....



BAPTISM:


Elder Thompson had his first baptism! This is so exciting for him, and totally and completely what he is in Paraguay trying to accomplish. 

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN BOYS AND GIRLS LISTEN UP

We had a baptism this weekend!!! Her name is Faviana and shes a single pregnant mother of two little girls. She was down on life, and we found her and taught her some lessons. She said she wanted to get baptized but did not know if it was for sure the right thing to do. So we shared Moroni 10:3-5 and how if you pray to God with a sincere heart, you will receive an answer.Well she got an answer for sure.Next day we came over to share a lesson and she said that she had a dream last night. In her dream she was in the water and she was looking up and there was a big mirror above her, and in the mirror there was people watching her. And me and Elder Baxter just got chills. BECAUSE that is exactly how a baptismal font looks like if you've never seen one. And keep in mind she had never been to church before, that weekend we took her to church, showed her the font and she just smiled ear to ear and said it was the exact same thing as her dream. It was so amazing to see the results of a mission, one of the coolest experiences of my life easily.Its crazy because during the process you`re thinking oh man I do not want to walk 3 miles to this persons house and be exhausted, but when you see your results in person, its all worth it.That, is why I'm serving a mission.


BROMANCE:

Just for your reference on your mission you are always with a companion. To help you teach and stay safe and well, companionship! You don't keep the same one for very long as you transfer around the region every few months. Just like in school or in your career you sometimes adore the people you are with, sometimes you don't have as much in common... 

Alex's first companion was a guy named, well.. Guy Baxter. Elder Baxter. APPARENTLY he and Alex were like the same person. Alex said a few weeks ago that Elder Baxter would have been one of his best friends in Cypress. He is so lucky to have met someone right out of the gate that he connected with!

Whats crazy town about Elder Baxter is that he happens to be (as we discovered after some clues and internet stalking) the nephew of someone our family has known for over 25 years! My Moms very dear friend from when their husbands were in Law School in NYC! This is someone who taught me Sunday School when I was three and found it appropriate to run around with my dress on my head at church... a habit I only engage in every couple of Sundays now... AND he is the cousin of a friend of mine from college.  I am the best private investigator thanks to Mark Zuckerberg.

Unfortunately Elder Baxter was transferred away from out little buddy, but I am confident they will remain friends forever! 
 
Alex said:
Well well well ya favorite missionary is a big boy now!
Tuesday Elder Baxter left for San Lorenzo in Tyuwasape, and I stayed in San Isidro and got a new companion! His name is Elder Kevin Gonzalez from El Salvador! Hes a super humble really nice kid who is ready to work. The first question i asked him was why is your name Kevin, thats a pretty gringo name, and he responded ´´my mom really liked Kevin Cosner´´ HAHAHHA Anyways he only has 6 days in the mission and I'm his trainer. At first I was super excited to be a trainer right out of my own training, but that first day after was rough. I was and am ready for the challenge and responsibility, but man its hard work. Every single second I have to teach him the ways of the mission and watch after him but its a great challenge to have.Right before I left my dad told me one of the truest things ever he said:´´ Alex, today starts the day of many goodbyes and many hellos, you´re going to meet a million people, build relationships, and then turn around and say goodbye before you know it´´ It was super sad leaving Elder Baxter, he was an amazing trainer and my best friend for 3 months, and then poof, he left. But I got Elder Gonzalez to build a relationship with and goof around while working.


Elder Thompson and Elder Baxter 



 Elder Thompson and his new companion Elder Gonzales



No comments

Post a Comment

© Onward Ever Onward
Maira Gall